About

A mom's journal of home life stories, hopes and dreams for her two wonderful kids

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Dr. Marc Reysio-Cruz of Capitol Medical City, Occupational Therapy in QC

Incredibooth time with the kids


Carlos' teacher told me that he may need a special education teacher since he has a hard time focusing and is hyperactive. A meeting with his teachers and the guidance counselor who evaluated him ended with a list of developmental pedia to consider.

I went with the nearest choice who was Dr. Reysio-Cruz. A parent-friend told me that he used to be a member of college-based organization Campus Crusade for Christ. Dr. Reysio-Cruz is also part of Headway School for Giftedness in Quezon City.

Developmental Pedia
It turns out that it's costly to consult with a dev-ped. A consultation ranged from P3,000 to P3,500 per session according to the Quezon City-based dev ped list given to me by his school. Their clinic's schedule is also very full. The earliest booking I got was three weeks after I called to be booked, only because I live near and the secretary's willing to put me in once a client backs out.

Fortunately, Carlos was seen two weeks after I asked for a schedule. One dev-ped clinic I called said their earliest vacancy is three months from the time I called.

However, when we got to the clinic of Dr. Reysio-Cruz, I was informed that he had an emergency meeting so another doctor will check Carlos. She was Dr. Jocelyn Sanchez of St. Luke's. She asked me questions about my pregnancy with Carlos along with his growing years. She would like to know the quirks I find about my little boy. I said he's more energetic compared with other boys and tends to focus on some tasks he prefers.

Dr. Jocelyn S. Sanchez - MD, Nuerodevelopmental Pediatrics
St. Lukes Medical Arts Bldg. Rm 533 Tuesdays and Saturdays 2-6PM by appointment
Telephone: 723-0101 local 6533

Diagnosing ADHD in 5-year olds
Aftewards, she had a one-on-one session with Carlos.
  1. She made him do some block creations after she has built them. I heard she asked Carlos to build a bridge. 
  2. Then it was time to do physical activities, like standing on one foot for some seconds, hopping, throwing and catching a tennis ball.
  3. She asked Carlos to write.
  4. She also showed Carlos photos and asked him about what he saw. Carlos had to describe the activities, relationships of the people in the photo. He was also asked to name all that he can see there.
  5. She asked what Carlos' birthday was, where he lives, the name of his best friend. I would hear him answer confidently, but when the questions went to what he would do if he's tired or cold, his voice turned soft.
All the time, she was writing her notes.

Borderline ADHD with occupational therapy sessions
Aftewards, Carlos came out of the room and told me it was finish. I was called back in so she may explain her findings.

She said Carlos did well in the test though he would squirm in his place whether he was sitting or standing up. The little boy was in constant motion. She wanted to wait until he turns six years old when his brain reaches more development.

In the meantime, she suggests Carlos gets occupational therapy help in order to aid his schooling. Two to three times per week, she recommends. After three months of OT (occupational therapy) she would like to see him again, this time in her St. Lukes clinic.

Doctor also said she will email some recommendations for Carlos' school, which may include pairing Carlos with a role model, sitting him at the front.

Occupational Therapy in QC
  1. Capitol Medical Center - Before session starts, Carlos need to be seen by a rehabilitation therapist first Telephone 372-3825 local 2106 P450/session
  2. Child Therapy Center - Rm 1001 The One Executive Condo 5 West Ave, QC Telephone 502-4299 or 0917-843-8385 Teacher Raul P450/session
  3. CHIPS - 441-5018 P1,500 initial evaluation P500/session Ms. Juliet

2 comments:

  1. Hello there,

    I am not sure if you still see posts here but I was curious about how things turned out with you son. I just want to get in touch with you because I am experiencing something the same at present. I know you have posted this 5 years ago, but I really hope I can still get in touch with you. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thank you for your message. My son is doing fine at a normal school. He is now at the intermediate level and will try out in the soccer club. Over the years, we have seen him mature and we delight in meeting his friends and talking with his teachers. So all is good now, I am sure it will turn out well for you too!

      Delete