About

A mom's journal of home life stories, hopes and dreams for her two wonderful kids

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Seeing through other peoples' eyes

I had to leave with Lois and daddy has to work. No yaya, only Kuya duds, who is helping us out temporarily, to look after Carlos. Gave them P50 for tokens and juice to buy from The supermarket - Carlos' favorite.

Six hours later, Lois and I came back. Carlos was deep asleep, obviously tired from his afternoon treat. The following morning, both kids ask me again to bring them to the game zone.


Why we went away
The kids will be starting school soon and I have extra hand through Kuya Jordan, so I decided to attend my small group, after more than six-months of hiatus.

My group is an all-women's group which study the Bible and organize travel, outreach activities and I missed them a lot.
Tinker Toys creation - helicopter

When they saw me again, they all said I looked fatter. Though more were commenting on my daughter whom they haven't seen for a long time. They all said she has grown to become a big girl. Most asked if she was already starting grade school because she looks so tall already.

Somehow, all of their comments gave me a different perspective of the my daughter. Yes! I see too, how big she now is. Far from the toddler that I used to carry. I don't need to mind her now anymore. She can handle her self. I can even give her directions!

Even the MRT agrees. Lois is 'required' to pay now, because her height exceeds the train meter's.

KLove promo
Husband loves KLove. He always leave it playing on for all of us to hear at home.

One ongoing promotion they have is to complete the sentence: I am a living proof of God's love (blank). Listening to the contest rules, I wondered what I would put in place of the blank. Does my life really prove God's love? Do my kids see in me a godly woman? I whispered a prayer and praised God for mini-moments like these which bring me back to what's important.

I am a living proof of God's love, my life now has meaning and fulfillment. Far from the empty, hard-to-fill cup I used to live. I know that I am here on earth for a purpose, and my every day unfolds that purpose.

Washington Sycip
One prolific organization that I admire, and wish to grow even more is HistokyKo.Org

One recent activity they had, which I missed was a talk given by great Filipino business sage Washington Sycip. When I saw a DVD of the event selling for P200, I bought it and learned a lot from the talk. Sharing the insights I have taken down:
  1. KT Li of Taiwan introduced computer to all age group that's why Taiwan is what it is now, a small country giant in IT manufacturing. To learn more about his life and emulate him that husband may fulfill his dream of leveraging IT to reach the Philippines' poor.
  2. A person who cannot read or write is 99.9% sure to be poor. - Washington Sycip
  3. Asked what he taught his children, Mr. Sycip said to provide good education for his children, thinking that afterwards, they will not depend on him. He even relayed how his parents sent them to the public school, even if they can afford the private school; and make them walk or take public transportation, instead of being driven around. Further convinced to lead simple lives to empower more the kids. Thinking comfort and luxury spoil kids.
  4. Examples of leadership, good leadership is lacking in the country. Reminded even more to model good behavior so the kids may see. I often require the kids to be cordial and respectful to  the elderly, while I myself am shy. Things like that.
Overheard
We have met up with Ninang Rachelle quite often this month. She drove for us. Some funny moments between her and Carlos:

Rachelle asking CD: Did you see that other car? Or are you near-sighted?
Carlos: Me, I am excited!
Who wouldn't we're going to the pool to swim.

Kids are pretending to drive while seated at the back. Ninang Rachelle was annotating her driving. Curious if the kids are following her, she asked:
Rachelle: I am going to turn left. Where are you going?
Carlos: We're left-ing.
Oh, he's going to turn left too.

Deciding to eat via drive-thru, Ninang Rachelle asked:
Rachelle: Do you want anything?
Carlos: Yes! I want anything.

Maybe they added 'anything' in their menu?

No comments:

Post a Comment