About

A mom's journal of home life stories, hopes and dreams for her two wonderful kids

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Raising A Girl vs A Boy, Plus Bicol 2011

We were blessed to have a girl and a boy for kids, one for each kind of gender is ideal for me. Though their age gap is only 20 months, each child, like the saying goes, is really unique. For a fact, I gave birth to Lois via the normal method while Carlos was delivered through the c-section.


Now that both are preschoolers - Carlos is almost ready to go to school, many say that Lois looks very much like me and Carlos is his dad's mini-me. It's totally fun, but I never get to see the semblance.

Lois is a girl, Carlos is a boy
We have been very specific in raising them as a girl and a boy. They know as early as 18 months. They notice their physique and note the people around them. Though Carlos dawdles about his sister's stuff, he knows that some colors and toys are for girls only.

Notes on gender difference among preschoolers
Though it's wrong and inappropriate for me to summarize my kids differences, I would still like to note how they are different from each other. Mostly, gender is not an issue, but I would still want to make it a factor - for posterity's sake.
  1. I agree that boys are faster, stronger and more adventurous. Carlos rarely keeps himself confined in one area, even when he is sleeping. Lois is more the timid and prim & proper kind.
  2. Girls tend to love schooling. Boys choose play over anything.
  3. Boys eat more.
  4. Boys are funnier. Carlos cracks me up, even when I'm in the most serious mood while scolding him.
  5. Yes, boys cry less.
  6. Boys' are into the gross motor skills - running, jumping, balancing. Girls tend towards activities that involve fine motor skills - holding a pencil, writing, painting.
  7. Girls are potty-trained earlier. Or maybe because the teacher is a female and modeling makes it easier?
Generally, my two kids are as different as the sun is from the moon. I love them that way and am so fulfilled with having them happily playing together. I like it a lot when I am working and behind me, I overhear them play pretend. Their dialogs are really funny. Lois is always the mom. Carlos would be the driver, or sometimes, the daddy. Their toys would be their kids. Both are good talkers, and I've been hearing Carlos dissing out some English phrases correctly at his big sister when they're arguing.

New year family tradition
Starting last year, when we visited HK for new year, we have set out to go to a new place as a family for New Year. Though we really didn't go to Bicol for the New Year, we went there a bit past after January 1. In fact we were there January 6-8.


A good friend of daddy Paul got married in Bicol that time. So it was hitting two birds with one stone. We stayed in Naga, Camarines Sur and were mesmerized with the place's charm. The bad weather confined us mostly to our accommodation, which was CWC and CBD Plaza. But still, Bicol attached itself to us - specifically to me. I would definitely go back there again when the time and allowance permits it.

The place is oozing with adventure and eco tourism destinations. The place is urban and kind and clean and affordable. Plus, it's unexplored unlike other popular tourist destinations.

Forgive me for posting a sleeping photo - I just couldn't help it. I'm beaming with pride whenever I see them this loving towards each other, even when it is just at sleeping state.

 
Walking from our cabin at CWC. Would you believe this fish eye effect is only through an iPhone?

Riding a trike. One of our goals, to let the kids explore local culture. Best way, through local transportation!

CWC Accommodation

We took the AirPhilippines flight from Terminal 3 Naia to Naga, which was hours delayed. I got a good deal buying online few months before the actual date. I only got a one-way fare for 4 persons - 2 adults and 2 kids.

AirPhils' planes are older than Cebu Pacific planes, but some say they're faster because they are more streamlined. From the airport, we boarded the shuttle bus of CWC which regularly picks up chance clients from the airport, and regular trips to Naga City aka SM Naga. Two foreigners were with us, they too didn't have a reservation.

CWC is a government project, therefore government property. I don't know how they'll pull it off with the administration changes and all that. Anyways, people still need a lot of training plus marketing and communication expertise would help a lot. Think Enchanted Kingdom, SM, Glorietta strategy - posters of activities and things to do and buy, but tastefully done. CWC doesn't offer this. We only knew that there was a zoo inside when we were checked out and leaving. Sayang!

I got the Cabana - Queen Bed for Php1,700 and stayed there overnight. It has a queen size bed with air conditioning, own toilet and bath with functioning hot water and cable TV.

Here are the other room rates:
  1. Villa King - 2 persons - Php 6,250
  2. Wooden House Small - 2 persons - Php 2,750
  3. Wooden House Medium - 2 persons - Php 3,250
  4. Wooden House Large - 2 persons - Php 3,750
  5. Trailer Single - 2 persons - Php 1,500
  6. Trailer Family - 4 persons - Php 3,600
  7. Dwell House - 2 persons - Php 3,750
  8. Tiki Hut (Common Toilet) - 2 persons - Php1,000 + power usage
Kids 10 years below are free of charge, though the accommodation doesn't come with the usual free breakfast. But the restaurant inside CWC serves affordable, yummy meals - even drinks. The kids had repeat orders of rice for their hamburger steak.

CWC mobile: 0928-3083969 Email: infocamsur@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment