About

A mom's journal of home life stories, hopes and dreams for her two wonderful kids

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Property rentals and teaching kids how to code

Crazy genius ctto

Property for lease
For almost half a year now, one source of conflict between boss husband and I is my inability to finish off a possible money-making rental business. He wants me to prioritize this while I argue that my other money-making projects keep me busy to work on what he wants. Hopefully, as soon as I find time and will power to follow boss husband's call, I could use this start-up website which marries AirBnB, Lamudi and OLX: http://www.zipmatch.com/

Kid coders
My husband boss is a software architect. He knows several friends whom he considers superior in skill when it comes to bending codes. Just the same, he is the MKO (Vygotsky speak, more knowledgeable other) for all things technology.

That is why at home, we are open to our kids using technology. Kids are only limited by two things: inappropriate content and wifi cut-off. Websites that are R-13 and beyond are totally inaccessible. Plus kids are not allowed to use gadgets alone in a locked room. Boss husband has also fixed the connections so that weekdays, wifi for them gets cut by 7PM and 8PM for weekends.

As much as possible, we expose them to what we do. Boss husband talks about his projects. I show them my portfolio and sends them snaps of my client meetings. So far, none of them are into coding or web development yet. That's fine and dandy.

When they finally develop the interest, will let them tinker with:

  • https://scratch.mit.edu/about/ - MIT's Scratch project
  • http://www.alice.org/index.php - Alice by Carnegie Mellon and other brand partners
  • https://hourofcode.com/us - Latest and most popular so far supported by several IT giant companies
Pakialamera is a noun that describes a woman who meddles, which I think best describes me as I pursue the polymath within me. Yeah, long shot! Hehe!

No comments:

Post a Comment