About

A mom's journal of home life stories, hopes and dreams for her two wonderful kids

Thursday, October 6, 2011

ADHD candidate, august definition

I have recently spent some moments under God's feet, and it feels so refreshing.

It came in the form of knowing and accepting my youngest. I have enrolled Carlos in an after-class tutorial sessions to improve his fine motor skills. He has been using his inability to write as an excuse to not go to school.

After several sessions, his tutor told me that she would like to discuss her diagnosis with me. At that point, I have been receiving feedback from his teachers of his inattentiveness and lack of focus. At home, Carlos is extremely active. I started to research about ADHD.

Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder
Though I don't believe in labels, I sensed that most of the characteristics of this condition are present in my child. Carlos doesn't do eye-to-eye contact. He is extremely energetic compared to his playmates, sister and classmates. He cannot finish an activity that we do, instead he would suggest doing something else yet not finish too. He easily falls asleep when it's too quiet or too boring for him. He easily gets scared of new things - clowns, noisy things, insects. His senses are far too sensitive and keen than us, his family.

I was assured by the tutor that Carlos' age typically displays these traits. Their school welcomes those types too, as long as they are harmless. I was told not to worry. There really is no reason.

In fact, during my devotional time, the verse of Mark 5:6 Don't be afraid, just have faith became my assurance. Yet when Teacher Trina, my son's tutor talked with me, I couldn't stop the tears. Even though it was very embarrassing, I couldn't hold back the frustrations I had in the past over my boy's extreme energy source that gave way through tears. Yes, I was afraid and tired too.

Strength from little words
That marked the transformation which led to freedom. I finally accepted that he is unique. How I deal with his sister does not and will not work with him. I started embracing his interests - cars, trucks, planes, robots - anything with wheels. Table top activities such as writing, tracing, doodling, drawing involved these things.

We would have regular let out time where they may run freely until they grow tired. When he complains of something being loud even if it's not for me, I give in. I know his senses are sharper.

And then one day, as he and his sister were eating ice cream, he told me, "Don't worry mommy. I will wash my hands when we get home." He was aware of his dirty state. He was aware that I will may get mad at him.



Word discovery
august |ôˈgəst|
adjective
respected and impressive : The exhibit showcases an august collection of prehistoric materials.

His family is admired for the august lineage they have produced through the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment