About

A mom's journal of home life stories, hopes and dreams for her two wonderful kids

Thursday, August 12, 2010

My 9: July books and movies

  1. More Than Conquerors: Portraits of Believers from All Walks of Life
     - Haven't finished reading this book yet, but I'm already convinced by the fact that I need not be a full-timer in order to become 'useful' for God's kingdom. I always had this wrong notion that the best use of my time is if it's done with things concerning the church. I'm really glad I came across this.
  2. The Pursuit of Happyness (Paperback)
    by Chris Gardner (Author), Quincy Troupe (Contributor) - Who doesn't know Chris Gardner? I used to. :) Now I'm inspired by him, and how he stood strong to become a good father, and an accomplished businessman.
  3. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (The Chronicles of Narnia)  (Paperback)
    by C. S. Lewis (Author) "ONCE THERE WERE FOUR CHILDREN WHOSE NAMES were Peter, Susan, Edmund - I met popular writer and professor Clive Staples Lewis through friends. When I saw how he looked, I liked him more. When I read his works, I became an fan. When I read more about his man, I became a devotee.
  4. Mary Poppins: Three Enchanting Classics: Mary Poppins, Mary Poppins Comes Back, and Mary Poppins Opens the Door (Paperback)
    by Dr. P. L. Travers (Author)- This story makes me long for nannies like her - caring, insightful and fun loving. Too bad she's just fiction. If she were real, she would make a great enterprise training recruits.
  5. 101 Dalmatians (Puffin story books) (Paperback)
    by Dodie Smith (Author) "NOT long ago, there lived in London a young married couple of Dalmatian dogs named Pongo and Missis Pongo..." (more) 
    Key Phrases: simple white mink cloak, little blue cart, fifteen puppies, Nanny Butler, Nanny Cook, Hell Hall (more...) - It's always good to easier to make the kids read the book once it has been adopted to the big screen. In this case, there's the animated and live movie versions.

DVDs

  1. The Chronicles of Narnia - The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Widescreen Edition) (2005)
    Starring: Tilda Swinton, Georgie Henley Director: Andrew Adamson - Saw the stage play at Meralco Theater when I was still single. I even won free music CD. The movie version is a maximized adventure.
  2. Mary Poppins (45th Anniversary Special Edition) (1964)
    Starring: Julie Andrews, Hermione Baddeley - I think Julie Andrews looked much younger here than at the movie Sound of Music, which was released 1965. Perhaps this was shot much earlier? Spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down, cool tip.
  3. The Fountainhead (1949)
    Starring: Gary Cooper, Patricia Neal Director: King Vido - This is favorite among the books I've read about Ayn Rand's classic hit. The movie made me understand the book more. It's philosophical and artistic and hard to explain all at the same time. :D
  4. 101 Dalmatians (Two-Disc Platinum Edition) (1961)
    Starring: Marjorie Bennett, Cate Bauer Director: Wolfgang Reitherman, Hamilton Luske - Cruella's much scarier here. Hahaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment