About

A mom's journal of home life stories, hopes and dreams for her two wonderful kids

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Applying for a Philippine Passport

The kids don't have their passports yet, so before my old green passport expires, I applied for their already. Asked around several travel agencies to process the application, but found the minimum P3900 too big for us three. It would have been ok if there would be no more personal appearance - since both kids are under age 7, I could represent them both- but since I would still be required to go to DFA - Department of Foreign Affairs in the far away land of Pasay, I chose to apply personally this time.

With the NSO - National Statistics Office issued birth and marriage certificates, photos and other documents required (go check http://www.dfa.gov.ph/consular/passport-eng.htm for the official list of requirements) I brought my nephew with me to DFA. I was thinking he could help me line up. We got there during Pasay Day, December 2, which was a non-working holiday and which I do not know so our trip was wasted.

The following day when we got back, we arrived past 8am, contrary to what the guards on the gate suggested. He told me to arrive as early as 5am so I could be the first on the line. This is because they only process certain number of applications per day, so those who lined up late will return the following day, according to the time given. In my case, I was 10th in line when they announced that no more applications will be processed for the day since they have reached the 'quota' already. Instead, all those who were not allowed to get inside the verification line, including me, must photocopy their applications and get a schedule.

With much anger and frustration, I followed and got a 'return tomorrown 1pm' mark. If the guards weren't so tight, I could have gone to the officer of the day and raised hell and argued that being the MAIN BRANCH, how come they cannot process all applications? All government offices I know do not issue quotas - NSO, BIR, SSS, NBI. They shouldn't have marked their previous day as non-working holiday if this were so. But of course, this is the Philippines, we don't care for people's time. We don't see how people could have come from faraway places, taking a not required leave just so we can apply for our passports. I forgot all my raging emotions when I saw other clueless Filipinos willingly falling in line. I felt so much pity for our race.

The next day, I arrived early for my appointed time. The line was already long, and true enough familiar faces who were with me yesterday were there too. We all got the same schedule. The verification inside Gate 2 took 30 minutes maximum, including the lining up. A DFA personnel announced that micro-chip passports are already available for a much higher price, but for lesser processing day. I inquired about it, thinking that since all countries use this type, it would be easier for our families when we visit abroad. However, the clerk said the kids should be there since their photos would be taken by the computer. I just got the machine-readable type, P750 for each of us, available after 5-working days processing.

After the verification, next step is payment and then signing of documents at the auditorium. It was a much organized process, but could still be improved. I tried to talk to the people near me, probing why they are applying for a passport. One said she will visit her mom in Malaysia, another said so she could report for OFW-work as a caregiver in Israel.

I wish the day would come when Filipinos will mostly go abroad to study, tour or invest.

No comments:

Post a Comment