About

A mom's journal of home life stories, hopes and dreams for her two wonderful kids

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Human development theories: Erikson's Psychosocial Development and Kohlberg's Moral Development


Erickson’s Psychosocial Development theory

Kohlberg’s Moral Development Theory
Stage of Basic Trust and Mistrust (From birth to 18 months)
At 18 months My mother remembers that I was given Carnation milk and my grandmother collected all the used cans and used them for her plants. I remember seeing a whole line of flowers growing from Carnation cans when I was a toddler. I was fortunate that my needs and wishes—feeding wise at least, were met and generously provided for, and now as an adult, building and nurturing relationships are easy.
Pre conventional Morality Stage 1 - Obedience and Punishment (Ages 2 to 5)
At 5 years old While my older sister was in school, I would sneak on her crayons and other stuff and play with them on my own. Then, before she comes back from school, I would make sure I have properly returned it because she gets upset when I use it without her permission. There was one vivid day I remember that she found out and she got mad at me and pinched me. I didn’t repeat that after I got hurt.
Stage of Autonomy and Shame (From 18 months to 3 years)
At 3 years old I remember falling from the stairs and hitting my head against my mother’s sewing machine. It was a bloody afternoon which left me scarred and the whole household fumbled. I accidentally stepped on the towel wrapped around me. I was given enough autonomy to play and explore the world around me, but was not spared from the consequences of wrong decisions, like in this case, draping clothes and stairs.
Pre conventional Morality Stage 2 - Individualism and Exchange (Ages 5 to 9)
At 9 years old One of the games we played as kids was the rubber band game. When it is your turn, you have to blow on a rubber band and if it lands on the other person’s rubber band, that will be yours. One of my friends would give me her rubber bands, but when we would play together, she would take several chances when it is her turn until she wins. She would only give me one chance when it is my turn. I didn’t complain, because in the end, she would give me rubber bands.
Stage of Initiative and Guilt (From 3 to 6 years)
At 4 to 5 years old Being the youngest, all of my siblings were already in school while I was left at home. My grandmother and mother told me that every June, before the classes would start, my neighbour and I would always plan to go to school and agree to wake up early so we could start school by ourselves. However, I was a late sleeper, and my neighbour would wake me up, as the other kids were already at school. Our parents allowed us to hatch our own plans but knew that we were too young to attend school and played along with our initiatives.
Conventional Morality Stage 3 - Interpersonal Relationships (Ages 7 to 12)
At 12 years old When together, my friends and I would conduct ourselves as hip and cool. We would play out jokes and stories from the TV shows we watched especially Ang TV. However, when our teachers are within reach, we keep quiet and get serious as if putting on a different kind of us.
Stage of Industry and Inferiority (From 6 to 12 years)
At 11 to 12 years old I became part of the Journalism Club during this stage and became part of the school’s official representative for competitions. Our English and Journalism teachers would regularly train us after class and I enjoyed the support and mentoring they provided, along with my classmates’ friendship and fun company. We were confident and together we achieved memorable things for the school and for ourselves.
Conventional Morality Stage 4 - Maintaining Social Order (Ages 10 to 15)
At 15 years old I remember that this is the first time I have become aware and passionate about obeying the traffic laws especially the no jaywalking. Even though there were no cars passing, I would wait for the Go green light before I cross the street.
Stage of Identity and Role Confusion (From 12 to 18 years)
At 15 years old My father passed away due to a long-time sickness. I remember being very sad, uninterested and confused about what course to take in college. I had no firm personal goal or path. I followed and copied some of my friends’ course choice, and was fortunate that I ended up in a degree I enjoyed. I believe that God’s plans prevailed despite my lack of direction and I am very thankful.
Post Conventional Morality Stage 5 - Social Contract and Individual Rights
At present I remember during the presidential debates, one candidate would always mention that the rule of law should be observed. Individual choices and behaviour are allowed, however, the rule of law must be observed. This was imminent when one presidential candidate wanted to present documents as proof of his claim when the debate organisers’ rule was that no documents are allowed.
Stage of Intimacy and Isolation (From 18 or 20 to 40 years)
At 25 years to present I have been blessed with a life partner husband and a loving family who support and encourage me. There is ample room to be myself, to follow my personal dreams—one of which is to become a teacher and have our own school—as well as to do life together as a family supporting alternative learning with the help of technology.
Post Conventional Morality Stage 6 - Universal Principles
At present As discussed in class, a great example was the priest who lied to the policemen in order to let main character Jean Valjean in the fictional story Les Misérables start a new life. The priest even gave robber Valjean his extra silverware so that he may use them for his needs. Even when the priest’s action conflicted with the laws and rules, the priest took the high ground of moral reasoning and instead forgave so that Valjean may have a fresh start. On a more personal and practical level, letting someone who is old, pregnant, with kid or carrying loads of bags to go first at the grocery counter illustrates support universal principle of generosity and goodness.
Stage of Generativity and Stagnation (From 40 to 60 years)
Not there yet, but parents and older relatives are generous to offer life tips and financial support to draw learnings from, very much like standing on the shoulder of giants.
Stage of Integrity and Despair (From 60 till death)
Not there too. Hearing from my parents, older family and friends, it’s wonderful to observe the quiet wisdom of our elderly as they allow us, younger people, to shape our own lives, only casually giving their inputs and trusting that there is an individual plan for each of us, plans that prosper and not harm, plans that give hope and a future.

No comments:

Post a Comment