About

A mom's journal of home life stories, hopes and dreams for her two wonderful kids

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Life Direction and Puberty

When life is gray, where do you turn?
High School Challenges

Ten Outstanding Students of the Philippines awardee and Ateneo de Manila University’s first visually-impaired Filipina summa cum laude Roselle Ambubuyog summarized her life story in colors. Green for her childhood days, red when she became blind, white for that time when she has accepted her disability, yellow for those years that despite her blindness there are supportive people around her who helped her accomplish her dreams, and so on. For me, my high school years were gray. Gray because I have never been as unsure of my life as I was then.

I was clueless as to what to do with my life. I didn’t know what course to take because I didn’t know what career I would enjoy best. While my friends and classmates were sure as to the steps they want to take after high school, I was drifting along. I was copying whatever sounded great. I guess I was most hesitant to make the first mature decision of my life: to choose a college degree.

I was also most disinterested about life when I was in high school. Perhaps it was due to hormonal changes, but I was most sluggish then. Nothing appeared interesting to me. My days would be the same day in and day out. School was fun and I have numerous fun friends, but life was monotonous. Everything was boring, everything was gray.

Lastly, I remember that back in high school, during my third year, my father died. It was one of the saddest days of my life. My father, whom I love and respect very much got sick of emphysema and was in pain for quite some months. Several weeks before Christmas, my brother fetched us from the province with the bad news that our dad passed away. I was crying all throught our trip home.

It was amazing that high school life consisted only of four years, but led to more colorful and difficult yet rewarding life ahead. I am most thankful of God’s mercies on my life because looking back, it is clear to me that by His loving kindness I came out fine and triumphant after high school.

“People plan their path, but the Lord secures their steps.” Proverbs 16:9

No comments:

Post a Comment