About

A mom's journal of home life stories, hopes and dreams for her two wonderful kids

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Philippine Flag Day activity, Jose Rizal's 150th birthday and going back to school

May 28 is Philippines' National Flag Day, we did this mobile to join in.
I subscribe to BabyCenter's email and one of the fun activities it suggested was to make a Memorial Day display, very similar to the photo shown. So with not much projects to finish, I encouraged my two kids to come up with our very own Philippine-flag inspired mobile.

What you will need:

  • Strings
  • Anything round, this case I used an old bracelet of Lois, ideal to use is an embroidery holder
  • Colored papers - red, blue, white and yellow for the Philippine flag's colors
  • Glue
How to do it:
  1. I wrapped the bracelet, which will serve as the holder, with white strips of paper. Lois helped putting the glue.
  2. Tie some pieces of string on the round holder where you will put the paper-cut-stars
  3. Make paper stars. What I did was to fold my colored paper (8.5x11 inches) into four vertically. Then I had Lois and Carlos cut them. These folded pieces, I folded again into 4, to make little squares. Cut.
  4. I traced a star into the top-most part of our paper square and had Lois cut along my star.
  5. Then, apply glue on the side of the star that you want hidden. *Some papers I used had printed words and we put the glue there. Paste two similar color stars together with the string between them.
  6. Display and adore.
The kids love our crafts. I told them that we used the colors of the flag because of the occasion and to commemorate the incoming Philippine Independence day on June 12.

I hung it in our main door and every time, Lois would ask if it's still there. She's afraid somebody will get it. :)

CCP's Si Jose, ang Pinoy Idol

Cultural Center of the Philippines will be celebrating Jose Rizal's 150th birthday with a weeklong line up of activities. One of which are storytelling sessions for kids on June 15 and 16 at the CCP's Multi-Purpose Room.

I have no idea where that is exactly, I just know it's along Roxas Boulevard and the event will be from 2-4pm. I PLAN TO BRING THE KIDS, God help me. This is something I want them to see, little, growing Filipinos they are.

First day of school
It's not yet officially announced, but June 14 is their first day of school. Lois is an incoming kinder and Carlos will be in Nursery 2. There are morning and afternoon classes, but I suppose they will be put in the morning shift for easier scheduling?

Last year's morning schedule of the same classes are 8-11 for the kinder and 8-1030am for Nursery 2.

If they will put them into the afternoon class, Lois will come in 12noon then go home 3pm. While Carlos will be for 1-330pm. Not very practical. If they will join the morning class, we will still have time to attend the Jose Rizal plays.

I really hope we can make it. Crossing my fingers. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment