About

A mom's journal of home life stories, hopes and dreams for her two wonderful kids

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A trip to Laguna





It has been an annual tradition to spend Holy Week at Lobo Beach in Batangas, Daddy Paul's side of the family. Now that Lois is four-years old, she is excited to go to the beach. I could almost use it as a power controler over her. "If you don't pack away those toys, you will not join us to Lobo." It would definitely work.

But a parenting book Daddy Paul and I are reading suggests the other way. Say it once, walk away, follow through. I've tried it twice with Lois and result is a po-answering kid. The book works! And I haven't finished it yet.


The book, entitled Have a New Kid by Friday, however, is not for the weakling. It meant really sticking to the punishment you will give. The first thing I used with Lois was to deny her milk from her bottle. Yes, I was willing to let her go on a fast - because she was obviously hurting other people. She would intentionally hit his Kuya Doods, my nephew and sole employee, then say sorry after I reprimand her.

When I saw her hitting him again, I confronted the behavior. With my most serious face, I brought her to our 'punishment room' and told her she cannot have milk because she constantly hits Kuya Doods. I labeled what I was doing with her. "You're given a punishment because you keep on doing what is wrong, hitting Kuya Doods. It is bad to hurt people. And you don't say sorry then keep on repeating the same thing."

I've to admit it was hard. It required that I deal with Lois completely, all my attention to her. Then, given the punishment, I had to be tough. Giving in to her whines and cries would break the spell. In our case, Lois constantly bogged me for her milk, but I reminded her she cannot have her usual bottle until it was bedtime.

I guess this incident showed Lois who was in charge? Or perhaps, since I was firm, she learned Mommy Tams would really do what she said? Whatever reason, I am happier with Lois. She has become a more respectful daughter, and a responsible sister - at age 4.

Meeting Baby Skid

Before heading to Lobo, Batangas, we passed by Binan to finally meet and welcome the newest addition to the Guevara clan - Baby Skid, Kuya Bong and Ate Alyn's most precious firstborn.

It was amusing to find Baby Skid on top of the table. With his rocker cradle strapped to the chairs, week-old Skid was fast asleep very unmindful of us. Well, that's what newborn babies do a lot. He was covered, almost from head to foot and Mommy Tams took to removing his clothes, checking on him, perhaps too, reminiscing on the good old days when Lois and Carlos were like that. It was amusing that little Baby Skid was smiling. Whether it was gas or pure bliss, it was heartwarming to see him beam.




The kids, with the dad and Ma Dahls were checking the almost garden paradise which Skid would now call home. Shady trees, beautiful flowering plants, chirping birds, barking dogs plus huge turtles and tilapias all inside their compound. Inside too was the Coke room, where Kuya Bong and Ate Alyn display their humongous Coke memorabilia collection.
Posted by Picasa




We're excited to have Baby Skid grow up. I'm sure the kids would definitely love to play, swim and run with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment